The Outpatient Pharmacist I is responsible for the preparation, compounding and dispensing of medications according to the laws, policies and regulations governing pharmacists and the practice of pharmacy. The Pharmacists are responsible for the optimization of drug therapy by identifying, resolving, and preventing drug-related problems and adverse drug events.
- Appropriately dispenses pharmaceuticals, including non-sterile compounds, chemotherapy, biologics, controlled substances, and specialty medications for adult and pediatric patients.
- Performs quality checks on prescription orders entered by pharmacy technicians; assists technicians with data entry of prescriptions for complex orders.
- Provides direction to pharmacy technicians to promote operational efficiency (i.e., tech station assignment) and quality of the workflow.
- Consults with patients regarding medication questions/concerns and instructions as needed.
- Reviews and evaluates all physicians' medication orders for completeness and appropriateness prior to dispensing; consults with physicians and nurses to clarify orders as needed.
- Reviews prescribed drug therapy for contraindications, including but not limited to drug-drug interaction; drug-nutrient interaction; drug-herb interaction; allergies; and the appropriateness of drug and dose.
- Documents and reports clinical interventions in the safety system; detects and reports adverse drug reactions accurately, in a timely manner and per policy.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
All Pharmacists require a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy or Doctor of Pharmacy degree from an accredited college of Pharmacy.
No prior experience in hospital pharmacy or retail/specialty pharmacy is required.
Must be licensed to practice pharmacy in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Schedule: During training will pick up 1-2 shifts a week. Then move into reg 40 hr schedule.
- Rotating between 7:45-4:15pm shift (opening)
- 9-530pm shift (busier admin shift dealing with pre-verifications, emailing, dealing with ins rejections)
- 10am - 630pm shift (closing)